The main purpose of Kentucky Reptile Zoo is the production of venom towards pharmaceutical research and the production of antiserum, the antidote for venomous snakebite. If you are interested in learning more about how venoms are useful to researchers, check out our Public Interest page.
Our venoms are collected only from healthy individuals and our non-invasive technique insures that all individuals are unharmed. Snakes used for extraction have passed quarantine, feed voluntarily, and produce viable offspring (if breeding is intended). They are kept in clean, sanitary conditions and we have had individuals live longer than their average life span.
- All venoms are collected in a sterile manner and frozen at –70C before lyophilization.
- We provide discounts for standing venom orders and on orders of 10 g or more.
- Locale information available for most species.
- Other venoms available upon request; contact us for more information.
- CITES permits available for all CITES listed species. Extra cost for permits.
- KRZ makes every effort to stay current regarding nomenclature and taxonomy. Our listing reflects current trends, with former names in parentheses. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
- Check, money order and wire transfer accepted. All prices are per gram in US dollars. Shipping, packing and permit charges are extra.
KRZ is proud to not only be an active participant in venom research, but also in our involvement with other areas of research in herpetology, including rattlesnake telemetry and snake behavioral studies. Our facility is available to professional researchers interested in any area of herpetology.
Venom Grant Program
KRZ is an influential contributor to current venom research worldwide. In order to contribute to the venom research community, KRZ is offering a venom grant to graduate students working in the venom research field. Please contact us for more information if you are interested in this grant.